Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Fallcon 2017

This past weekend I went down to Calgary for Fallcon 30, a weekend of all things boardgaming! The convention this year had moved and was held at the arena at SAIT. I must say, the SAIT campus is really nice.

Friday

Jonathan and I played Wilderness War. Well, we played the first year anyway. Hopefully we'll be giving this another go soon. The second game of the evening was Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar.
Two of the players hadn't played in a year and the fourth hadn't played before. I was able to squeak out a win in the this one with the new player being close behind. Steve Zanini, the gentleman running the game, was kind enough to have had keychains made for everyone who participated. The keychains have a small wood Mayan calendar on them.

Saturday

Saturday morning saw me participating in a playtest of a game called Defenders of Wessex. In this game the players are defending Wessex against constant Viking attacks. The game was in the vein of Pandemic, a cooperative game where the players are desperately trying to stave off panic in the countryside all the while scrambling together enough forces to destroy the Vikings. We ended up losing the game. I hope this game makes it as it was an interesting, entertaining game.

For the afternoon, both Jonathan and I did not have a game so we pulled out Commands and Colors Napoleonics. We played one of the scenarios from the Russian expansion: Borodino: Shevardino Redoubt.
I played the Russians and was able to keep the French at bay till they finally got moving and then they quickly rolled over me. I need to get this game out more.

And next up was the most anticipated part of the weekend: the auction! As in previous auctions, there was an excellent selection of games up for bid. I was able to get a number of the ones I was interested in.
Now, I need to get them to the table!

One of the highlights of the auction this year was the presentation of the Canadian Boardgame Designer Award. This year, the award was brought in to the facility in the arms of volunteers from the 501st Legion. There was a pair of stormtroopers, a scout trooper, a TIE pilot and another guy in what looked like a modified Clone trooper outfit. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture. See Chen's blog for a pic: http://172minis.blogspot.ca/

After the auction, I played in a game of Mansions of Madness 2nd edition. I wanted to give this game a try to see how it compared to the 1st edition. The game seemed to flow a little smoother, but I have to say I do prefer the 1st edition where one of the players is against the rest of the players.

Sunday

Sunday started with the flea market and I was able to pick up two more of the scenario packs for Mansions of Madness 1st edition for a great price. Besides that, there wasn't really anything else that grabbed my attention.

After that was the last game of the weekend: Formula De. There were 8 people playing and we were racing on one of the tracks in Italy (can't remember which). Really fun game and a perfect convention game. We'll have to see if we can get the guy who ran it to come up for Mayday.

And then it was time to go home!

I'm redoing my upstairs flooring now, so it'll be a while before anything comes off the paint table.

No comments:

Post a Comment