Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It's showtime!

So tonight at game night Dave and I played the third game in our campaign. The scenario was The Cattle Raid. Here is the layout after the first turn and shows my left side and center.

And this one is of the center and my right side.

Here is the board after most of my infantry have either been destroyed or are in the processing of running away.

I ended up losing although it wasn't too bad of a loss as the troops I did lose were pretty cheap.

In hindsight I put my light cavalry and main heavy cavalry units too far to the right and they didn't get into the fight till the latter half of the battle. Next battle in the campaign is Cat Coit Celidon.

We finished a little early so we had a quick Basic Impteus battle using my Alexander Macedonians and Dave's beautifully painted Republican Romans standing in as the Polybian Roman army list.

Unfortunately it didn't work out well for Alexander's army as I got soundly trounced. For some ridiculous reason I thought Dave had an artillery unit (even though I had his army list in front of me - I'm blaming it on a brain cloud), so I opted to remove a hill in terrain placement. I should've taken a piece of bush and moved it in front of his legions. I've had a tough time playing these guys for the few times I've played them. One of this, one of that, one of those. As we discussed after, they would probably function a lot better in full blown Impetus when you could get more Phalangites in play. I've got enough minis left to do a few more units but I think I'm going to have to order a couple more things.

Regardless, next up on deck is the first of my Full Thrust fleets. They're sitting primed, ready to rock. Also this weekend I have a game of Warrior Knights with some friends which I'm fondly looking forward to.

4 comments:

  1. I quite like the second photo up, showing 5 Scottish javelinmen facing a unit of 16 Norman kniggots. "C'moan ya jessies!"

    I think the Macs work best if you refuse one flank and load up the other with all your mounted, pikes hold the middle. Hypaspists are fast so can almost keep up with the companions on the strong flank and give it some punch. It often worked for Alexander.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another tactic is to make Dave general a team of players, each controlling a few units and doing damned well what they please while feeding him incorrect information about terrain, your disposition and their own unit's combat abilities. Make him truly play the role of Darius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wull Bob, Persians are an even worse polyglot than the Macs, at least the Macs have some good troops. Romans are generally more forgiving to play. Another winning strategy is to get Mark Wall to roll Scott's dice. Anyone but Scott actually...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, my dice are pretty terrible. Maybe it's because they're white - the colour of surrender. I need some good red ones.

    ReplyDelete