So it's been a while since I've posted anything. I'm still very, very slowly grinding away at the figs I had started back at the end of April. In the mean time I have been working on some 1:1 scale terrain. But recently I decided to make up some 28mm roads as I didn't have any and I didn't feel like shelling out a bunch of money for roads. So here's what I did:
I had some large pieces of cork that I inherited from somewhere, so I decided to use them as the base. I think it's about 5mm thick. I cut it into 4" wide strips with a handful of odd shapes like an intersection and a curve.
Next I purchased some brown acrylic latex caulk from Home Depot for about $3 a tube. I ended up using about three tubes for the whole project. I then spread the caulk completely over the cork pieces. I then used a 5/16" wood dowel (to simulate tire tracks) and dragged it back and forth over each piece about a dozen times. I also sprinkled some fine sand onto each piece.
Once the roads had dried, I used the dark brown spray to cover the light coloured exposed cork sides and ends. I also gave the road surface a good dusting.
Next came some quick drybrushing with the craft paints above. and voila! They're nice and flexible and look pretty good.
All told, I have about 22' of roads.